Okay, simple object removal may not be so simple?

As you may know there are a lot of Online Image Watermarking tools available but Using Online Image Watermarking tools are a waste of time in my opinion. If you trying to process large size images (15mb) with high resolution, there will be lot of bandwidth and time wasted for uploading and downloading the images.

Final check J-P:

All is well with the format change, I now have successfully exported to a QT movie. Thank you.

Now, just making sure… I’ve spent an afternoon trying to figure out why my removal clip has the 3 x 3 square of pixels roving across the removed object layer and it has just now occurred to me that this is your water-mark for trial versions. Is this so? Clever! Too bad it took me hours to figure that out. My bad.

Thanks for moving me along.

Best,

Cat

Final check J-P:
All is well with the format change, I now have successfully exported to a QT movie. Thank you.
Now, just making sure… I’ve spent an afternoon trying to figure out why my removal clip has the 3 x 3 square of pixels roving across the removed object layer and it has just now occurred to me that this is your water-mark for trial versions. Is this so? Clever! Too bad it took me hours to figure that out. My bad.
Thanks for moving me along.
Best,
Cat

Okay,

I’m trying a very simple test.

I have a 4-point background layer (a green hillside) that contains a 5-point foreground layer (a red stone pillar).

I track forward 20 frames and it says that it is tracking both layers into each frame.

I then select the foreground layer (pillar), select the remove option and render back 20 frames to the first frame. It says that it is removing the pillar from each frame, but the pillar doesn’t disappear. It remains in each frame.

I’ve been studying the tutorials and the manual, but I’m missing the basics.

I apologize. Any simple suggestions?

Thank you.

Cat

Hi Mokey friends:

I am a complete novice at this and am working with the trial version of Mokey that I downloaded a few days ago. I have studied your tutorials very closely.

I am testing a 6-sec HD MOV clip of a simple pan of a rocky hillside in the background and a stone pillar in the foreground. The stone pillar is red while the hillside is green and thus sticks out like a sore thumb and easy to track.

I have made my background layer the hillside which is a vertical rectangle that includes the stone pillar through the entire track. Also on this layer, I have included contours outside of the rectangle to give this layer as much information as I can. My foreground layer is the stone pillar. I have successfully tracked each layer, and double checked their track by then stabilizing each layer to see if they remain “rock solid”, which they do.

But when I then go to remove the stone pillar after selecting “modify range” in the key-frame controls box, the stone does not go away… at all… zip. The magic doesn’t happen. It’s like it’s just another great track of the stone pillar.

I have a feeling I’m neglecting something really simple, or maybe am the classic example of one who doesn’t grasp the 2-D planar tracking system!

Thanks for your help.

Cat in Colorado

Hi Mokey friends:
I am a complete novice at this and am working with the trial version of Mokey that I downloaded a few days ago. I have studied your tutorials very closely.
I am testing a 6-sec HD MOV clip of a simple pan of a rocky hillside in the background and a stone pillar in the foreground. The stone pillar is red while the hillside is green and thus sticks out like a sore thumb and easy to track.
I have made my background layer the hillside which is a vertical rectangle that includes the stone pillar through the entire track. Also on this layer, I have included contours outside of the rectangle to give this layer as much information as I can. My foreground layer is the stone pillar. I have successfully tracked each layer, and double checked their track by then stabilizing each layer to see if they remain “rock solid”, which they do.
But when I then go to remove the stone pillar after selecting “modify range” in the key-frame controls box, the stone does not go away… at all… zip. The magic doesn’t happen. It’s like it’s just another great track of the stone pillar.
I have a feeling I’m neglecting something really simple, or maybe am the classic example of one who doesn’t grasp the 2-D planar tracking system!
Thanks for your help.
Cat in Colorado

Okay,
I’m trying a very simple test.
I have a 4-point background layer (a green hillside) that contains a 5-point foreground layer (a red stone pillar).
I track forward 20 frames and it says that it is tracking both layers into each frame.
I then select the foreground layer (pillar), select the remove option and render back 20 frames to the first frame. It says that it is removing the pillar from each frame, but the pillar doesn’t disappear. It remains in each frame.
I’ve been studying the tutorials and the manual, but I’m missing the basics.
I apologize. Any simple suggestions?
Thank you.
Cat

O.K., great success with the clean plates method. Thank you!

One final question:

I’m unable to export the clip of the removed pillar as a QT movie using the “save clip” option. It fails when it accesses the first .tif frame in the Results folder (or any of the .tif frames). The error log states that the “pgiLoadImage() was unsuccessful” and states that “the file may be missing, corrupted or in an unsupported format”.

The .tif frames that are saved in the Results folder are Tiff Document files, but nothing can read them. I don’t think this has anything to do with using a trial version.

Any ideas would be helpful. If I can successfully create a few low res sample clips of what Mokey can do with object removal/replacement to show to interested parties, we would be interested in buying this software. Please excuse my initial high maintenance.

Sincerely,

Cat

Yes, thank you JP:
Here is a link to a zip file that contains a 4-sec MP4 movie clip of the pan and a JPEG image of the first frame of the movie with approximate outlines of my selections of the ground and pillar layers.
http://www.spikeproductions.com/Stonehinge.ZIP
Please let me know if these samples are not suitable for you, or are problematic. I can offer any file size or type from this personal server.
Thank you again for your time. I must admit I’m a little taken aback that a CEO from Imagineer Systems is looking into this. I’m still assuming I am making very amateurish mistakes.
Regards,
Cat

Yes, thank you JP:

Here is a link to a zip file that contains a 4-sec MP4 movie clip of the pan and a JPEG image of the first frame of the movie with approximate outlines of my selections of the ground and pillar layers.

http://www.spikeproductions.com/Stonehinge.ZIP

Please let me know if these samples are not suitable for you, or are problematic. I can offer any file size or type from this personal server.

Thank you again for your time. I must admit I’m a little taken aback that a CEO from Imagineer Systems is looking into this. I’m still assuming I am making very amateurish mistakes.

Regards,

Cat

Oh! Thank you, J-P.

I still have to grasp the fundamentals here! Thank you for steering me in the right direction, I don’t think I would have figured this out anytime soon without your insight.

As a beginner, the tutorial with the car driving past a sign on a lawn seemed to me like a similar problem to panning across a scene with an object in the foreground. But these are two different problems for object removal!

I will post again when I have successfully tested object removal with and without using clean plates. Back to it, then!

I am both impressed and grateful that Imagineer Systems doesn’t allow its forums to idle when the forum manager is on vacation. Thank you.

Best,

Cat

Oh! Thank you, J-P.
I still have to grasp the fundamentals here! Thank you for steering me in the right direction, I don’t think I would have figured this out anytime soon without your insight.
As a beginner, the tutorial with the car driving past a sign on a lawn seemed to me like a similar problem to panning across a scene with an object in the foreground. But these are two different problems for object removal!
I will post again when I have successfully tested object removal with and without using clean plates. Back to it, then!
I am both impressed and grateful that Imagineer Systems doesn’t allow its forums to idle when the forum manager is on vacation. Thank you.
Best,
Cat

O.K., great success with the clean plates method. Thank you!
One final question:
I’m unable to export the clip of the removed pillar as a QT movie using the “save clip” option. It fails when it accesses the first .tif frame in the Results folder (or any of the .tif frames). The error log states that the “pgiLoadImage() was unsuccessful” and states that “the file may be missing, corrupted or in an unsupported format”.
The .tif frames that are saved in the Results folder are Tiff Document files, but nothing can read them. I don’t think this has anything to do with using a trial version.
Any ideas would be helpful. If I can successfully create a few low res sample clips of what Mokey can do with object removal/replacement to show to interested parties, we would be interested in buying this software. Please excuse my initial high maintenance.
Sincerely,
Cat

No worries, J-P. Silly me!

I have all day today to try out more removal tests, hopefully without requiring as much hand-holding (?).

Have a great weekend.

Cat

No worries, J-P. Silly me!
I have all day today to try out more removal tests, hopefully without requiring as much hand-holding (?).
Have a great weekend.
Cat

Hi Cat,
Can you post a compressed version of your shot so I can take a look?
Thanks,
J-P

Hi Cat,

Can you post a compressed version of your shot so I can take a look?

Thanks,

J-P

Hi Cat,

This isn’t going to work - there is no motion between the stones and the background so mokey can never see the pixels it needs to replace the stones. You would need to paint a clean plate and follow the procedure from the “Using Cleanplates” tutorial on page 174 of the mokey user manual.

—Quote (Originally by Cat)—
I must admit I’m a little taken aback that a CEO from Imagineer Systems is looking into this.
—End Quote—
The person who would normally handle this is on holiday!

Best regards,

J-P

Hi Cat,
This isn’t going to work - there is no motion between the stones and the background so mokey can never see the pixels it needs to replace the stones. You would need to paint a clean plate and follow the procedure from the “Using Cleanplates” tutorial on page 174 of the mokey user manual.
—Quote (Originally by Cat)—
I must admit I’m a little taken aback that a CEO from Imagineer Systems is looking into this.
—End Quote—
The person who would normally handle this is on holiday!
Best regards,
J-P

Weird, but I have heard of this happening before. You should be able to solve it by switching to DPX format for the internal cache. This is in preferences | Default Clip Settings | Format.