Camera Solve problem

Hi,
The past few weeks I have been looking into the camera solver of Mocha Pro and thus far I have been successful only once. It’s driving me a bit nuts because I cannot seem to understand if i’m doing something wrong or there is actually something wrong with mocha.
Here is the situation;
a couple of days ago I started working on a shot that I tracked using multiple non-coplanar layers. The track seemed good and I did a camera solve with a 90+ percentage in quality.
The next thing I did was pasting the camera into After Effects, using the ‘paste mocha camera’ menu. Added some elements to the shot and everything went fine.
Then I thought, why not put an actual 3d element in the shot using cinema 4d and then composite the shot in after effects. So I went back into mocha and opened up the project of the exact same shot I worked on earlier.
I went to the solver to get the .fbx data when mocha told me there was no 3d camera solve. When i tried to solve the shot once again mocha told me that it couldn’t work out the solve. Even tough the last time I had that project open mocha had done it…
I tried all combinations of focal length and camera type in the solver. I tried tracking other shots wich went fine but as soon as I tried to solve the camera mocha gives me the same error message. Even the most simple shots won’t work.
I’m puzzled on what is going wrong now as I had it working earlier this week…
Any suggestions?

Hi,

The past few weeks I have been looking into the camera solver of Mocha Pro and thus far I have been successful only once. It’s driving me a bit nuts because I cannot seem to understand if i’m doing something wrong or there is actually something wrong with mocha.

Here is the situation;
a couple of days ago I started working on a shot that I tracked using multiple non-coplanar layers. The track seemed good and I did a camera solve with a 90+ percentage in quality.
The next thing I did was pasting the camera into After Effects, using the ‘paste mocha camera’ menu. Added some elements to the shot and everything went fine.
Then I thought, why not put an actual 3d element in the shot using cinema 4d and then composite the shot in after effects. So I went back into mocha and opened up the project of the exact same shot I worked on earlier.
I went to the solver to get the .fbx data when mocha told me there was no 3d camera solve. When i tried to solve the shot once again mocha told me that it couldn’t work out the solve. Even tough the last time I had that project open mocha had done it…
I tried all combinations of focal length and camera type in the solver. I tried tracking other shots wich went fine but as soon as I tried to solve the camera mocha gives me the same error message. Even the most simple shots won’t work.

I’m puzzled on what is going wrong now as I had it working earlier this week…

Any suggestions?

Hi Martin,

That’s what I thought… Especially when I saved the project.
I am trying to get it to work for several days now so yea, I have restarted Mocha.

I will send you my project file and the image sequence, thanks in advance for taking a look!

Hi Martin,
That’s what I thought… Especially when I saved the project.
I am trying to get it to work for several days now so yea, I have restarted Mocha.
I will send you my project file and the image sequence, thanks in advance for taking a look!

Ok, let me know if you haven’t received it so I can send it again.

Hi Martin,

Ok that seems logical. By resolve you mean only the camera solve right? When resolving a shot, can it be that you have too many layers so that Mocha gets confused?

I did send you an email with my project file and shot. Did you receive that? I kind of get the feeling that my email had some issues lately.

Hi Martin,
Ok that seems logical. By resolve you mean only the camera solve right? When resolving a shot, can it be that you have too many layers so that Mocha gets confused?
I did send you an email with my project file and shot. Did you receive that? I kind of get the feeling that my email had some issues lately.

Ok, let me know if you haven’t received it so I can send it again.

Ok good to hear! Thanks a million for taking a look!

Ok good to hear! Thanks a million for taking a look!

Hi harry-ed,

That does seem strange! You should be able to resolve them consistently. I assume you have restarted mocha to make sure nothing was amiss?

If you can send me one of the problem solves i’ll be happy to take a look:
martinb[at]imagineersystems.com

Hi harry-ed,
That does seem strange! You should be able to resolve them consistently. I assume you have restarted mocha to make sure nothing was amiss?
If you can send me one of the problem solves i’ll be happy to take a look:
martinb[at]imagineersystems.com

We don’t at present save the solution in the project file, so you will need to resolve the layers when you open the project.
However you should get consistant results when you resolve a shot, so it is odd that you are not.

We don’t at present save the solution in the project file, so you will need to resolve the layers when you open the project.

However you should get consistant results when you resolve a shot, so it is odd that you are not.

I did not. I will check our spam filters!

I did not. I will check our spam filters!

It was caught by our filters. I’ve sent it to my inbox and will review.

It was caught by our filters. I’ve sent it to my inbox and will review.

I am on the MP v4. Had a similar question about why a) the solve isnt saved in the file. b) why the results seem different. Also why doesnt this forum have a search function??

I have a few questions regarding solving.

1. do the gears or locks have to be on/off to perform a successful solve? I seem to have irregular results if I save my file and come back later to continue the work. I do make sure all layers are selected before hitting solve but not sure about what should/should not be checked.

2. The exported data seems to work pretty well inside of AE but if I export as FBX and import to C4D the results are unusable. I do have the imported camera selected and am pretty familiar with the simple setup required to check if the solve stuck. Any ideas why it would work in one app and not the other?

I’d be more than willing to send you my project files.

thanks

Yuri