Fish Eye Lens Tracking

Hello. I am using Mocha 2.6.2. I am tracking a very wide angle shot. It is mounted to a NASCAR. I need to remove all of the logos on the signs that the car passes which also means roto-ing out the Fence in the foreground.
I cannot get the fence to track properly. I have tracked every way I can think of including unlinking the track and tracking just the white wall. Do I need to upgrade to Pro so Mocha can handle the lens distortion?
Any insight is much appreciated.
Image: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?hcvh9aoutmm6ioj

Hi There,
I see Martin got back to you before I did, sorry. Glad y’all got it figured out.
Cheers,

Hi There,

I see Martin got back to you before I did, sorry. Glad y’all got it figured out.

Cheers,

Hello. I am using Mocha 2.6.2. I am tracking a very wide angle shot. It is mounted to a NASCAR. I need to remove all of the logos on the signs that the car passes which also means roto-ing out the Fence in the foreground.

I cannot get the fence to track properly. I have tracked every way I can think of including unlinking the track and tracking just the white wall. Do I need to upgrade to Pro so Mocha can handle the lens distortion?

Any insight is much appreciated.

Image: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?hcvh9aoutmm6ioj

I have not tried the trial version yet. I really just need to upgrade. In the past, Imagineer has had a sale somewhere around the New Year, I was holding on to see if that would happen. :wink:
I was busy and missed the 40% off sale a few weeks ago. Man I am cheap!

I have not tried the trial version yet. I really just need to upgrade. In the past, Imagineer has had a sale somewhere around the New Year, I was holding on to see if that would happen. :wink:

I was busy and missed the 40% off sale a few weeks ago. Man I am cheap!

I am upgraded to Mocha Pro now. I have one question that the guide didn’t answer clearly. What would the procedure be for tracking a heavily distorted shot like the one in this thread?

In the end, I want to keep the shot as is (distorted). I just need to create roto mattes and corner pin data for elements in the shot.

Can I use the lens module to calculate the distortion, then move over to the tracking tab and do my tracking, or do I need to render an undistorted image as a new file and then import and track that?

Thanks,

Chris

Perfect answer. That’s what I wasn’t sure about, the under the hood “logic” of Mocha Pro. Thanks so much.
Chris

I am upgraded to Mocha Pro now. I have one question that the guide didn’t answer clearly. What would the procedure be for tracking a heavily distorted shot like the one in this thread?
In the end, I want to keep the shot as is (distorted). I just need to create roto mattes and corner pin data for elements in the shot.
Can I use the lens module to calculate the distortion, then move over to the tracking tab and do my tracking, or do I need to render an undistorted image as a new file and then import and track that?
Thanks,
Chris

OK. Do I need to “Undistort” the shot before tracking or just go as far as Calibrate for it to help the tracker understand the distortion it is tracking?

OK. Do I need to “Undistort” the shot before tracking or just go as far as Calibrate for it to help the tracker understand the distortion it is tracking?

Perfect answer. That’s what I wasn’t sure about, the under the hood “logic” of Mocha Pro. Thanks so much.

Chris

There would be quite a sever curve on that wall from both the cuve of the track, and the curve of the lens, so undistorting it may be your only option. Have you tried out the V3 trial to see if it works for you?

There would be quite a sever curve on that wall from both the cuve of the track, and the curve of the lens, so undistorting it may be your only option. Have you tried out the V3 trial to see if it works for you?

You can solve for the lens first and then do your roto and tracking inside of mocha, when you export your inserts, you will want to either render them out distorted or render out the distortion maps (or the lens warp AE plugin) to distort those elements into your shot.

You can solve for the lens first and then do your roto and tracking inside of mocha, when you export your inserts, you will want to either render them out distorted or render out the distortion maps (or the lens warp AE plugin) to distort those elements into your shot.

No undistortion needed if you want to match the distortion of the shot. Just solve for the lens and then everything else in mocha will give you data based on that solve, including the tracker.
Think of mocha Pro as being set up to run modules from left to right until you get past adjust track. So you start a project> check your clip settings if you need to> solve for a lens if you need to> track> adjust track > use any other module individually after that.

No undistortion needed if you want to match the distortion of the shot. Just solve for the lens and then everything else in mocha will give you data based on that solve, including the tracker.

Think of mocha Pro as being set up to run modules from left to right until you get past adjust track. So you start a project> check your clip settings if you need to> solve for a lens if you need to> track> adjust track > use any other module individually after that.